By our enemies’ standards (our sin, the world, Satan) I am not a very successful person. But because He has taken care of my past and has secured my future with Him in glory, I am – here an now – really free to see, enjoy, and share that very Beauty that has restored me back to Him.
Because of Him I have found satisfaction and significance in this life.
- How is this possible?
- Am I just redefining the terms for my advantage? Am I using semantics to cover the fact that I am, in fact, a loser? When I was an engineering student, back in Mexico, my first real job was at a metallurgical plant. There I learned a big deal about quality control and, for the first time, I was introduced to the concept of annual performance reviews.
- It was an interesting process: each employee would choose up to five goals for the years by which his performance would be evaluated by his boss. In the early days of this program things were going very well. Employees would chose goals that stretched them and challenged them. But then, after noticing their salaries were affected by the annual evaluation results, people started to chose goals easier to reach.
- The result was the opposite of what was original intended.
- Am I doing the same, here? Let me give you three reasons why I know this is not a case of self-delusion.
- I know this satisfaction and significance I have is real because His Beauty…
- Deals with reality.
- Provides the right perspective (eternity).
- Allows me to know Him and myself better.
The Beauty of the Triune God of Scripture & History is external to me, it is autonomous from me and everyone else, and it is the real standard for here and now.
And you, How are you doing?
Remember His grace, Follow Him in humility, Cultivate constantly, All in cultural diversity.