We should not deny white privilege exist, but we should not succumb to it. We need also to confront the reality that we ALL contribute to it, because we ALL are sinners.
What is it.
It is advantageous to be white, and there is no reason to deny it. As defined by Wikipedia, white privilege is…
…the societal privilege that benefits people whom society identifies as white in some countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.www.wikipedia.org
Over the course of my life, both here in the US and back in Mexico, I have seen this reality first hand.
Now, the Wikipedia article will continue presenting some ideas I am not 100% in agreement with, like when it says white privilege is “an invisible package of unearned assets.”
Other false ideas are:
- All white people are ignorant to this reality.
- Therefore, all white people are racists.
- Only white people can be racist; minorities are incapable of such a thing.
- White privilege only takes place in the US.
- There is not such a thing as black privilege, brown privilege, middle-class privilege, education privilege, hard-work privilege, etc.
- No one but white people is to blame for the sinful implications of white privilege.
- No one but white people contribute to prolong the sinful implications of white privilege.
- The historical reasons that contributed to the raise of white privilege are outside the scope of the providence of the Triune God of the Universe.
Meaning of it all.
This is another malady of our real condition without the transforming power of God the Holy Spirit. It means that we all contribute to it. It also means that, in one way or another, we see it as a way to extend our own pride and idolatry, regardless of our ethnic and cultural background.
Unless we are reconciled to Him by Him, deep down we all believe we deserve special treatment because of who we are, and we all believe we are way, way better than the next person.
But, Church, it also means that the power that resurrected Christ Jesus is capable of eradicating it. His Beauty is capable to restore ALL aspects of our life back to Him, preparing us for that glorious and eternal future He has promised us, with Him.
To start, I do not believe you have the obligation, if you have the blessing of being a white person, to go around apologizing for white privilege. That is, unless you have intentional made an idol out of it.
If you have the blessing of being black, brown, yellow, red – or any combination thereof – you do not have the right of demanding special treatment due to your ethnicity. Wouldn’t that be, by definition, a whatever-your-color-is privilege? Isn’t that the very thing we, as humble followers of Christ, want to prevent???
We all need to repent, constantly remembering the reason we have peace with God: His grace. That is not due to anything, anything we could contribute. It is, really, an undeserved gift from God.
Christian, do not be ashamed of the cultural and ethnic makeup Jehovah has given you.
How do you contribute to the persistent idea that white privilege is insurmountable? What other privileges are you promoting that may be against His Beauty? Let us confess and repent.
Remember His grace, Follow Him in humility, Cultivate constantly, All in cultural diversity.